Domestic violence

Domestic violence can take the form of emotional, psychological, physical, sexual or economic abuse.

How we can help

Your home should feel like a safe haven and if this is not the case, we can explain your options to you. We always recommend that you report any incidences of domestic abuse to the police. There are unfortunately some types of abuse upon which the police cannot act upon such as emotional abuse. However, you can still get help through the courts. The types of orders that the court would make include:

Non-molestation Orders

These orders can prevent someone from, for example, threatening to use or using violence against you and your children, intimidating, harassing or pestering you and your children and communicating with you and your children other than through Solicitors.
Breaching a non–molestation order is a serious criminal offence, punishable by up to five years imprisonment.

Occupation Orders

These orders can remove someone from your home and prevent them from re-entering. It is also possible to get an ‘exclusion zone’ around your home. A ‘Power of Arrest’ can also be attached to an occupation order so that if the person breaches the order, the police can arrest him/her.

What if you are the accused?

It may be that you have been served with a court order and you want to know where you stand. We can provide advice in this respect also and should you wish to defend your case, we can assist.

For further information on any family law issue, please contact Robert Worthing or speak to your usual contact in the Family Team.